Ruby <r...@hush.com> wrote:

> I have been moving into a new old house and moving stuff out of storage.
> I have about 2000 books, covering every phase of my life's interests.  I
> just pulled this very book out of a box yesterday, and wondered to myself,
> hmm, why do I have this book?
>
> Now I know!

That's courtesy the Department of Synchrony.

I once experienced a case of triple synchrony with a book. The only thing
like that I ever encountered. Before the Internet reached Sri Lanka I was
in a fax conversation with Arthur Clarke about synchrony and coincidences.
I faxed him some pages of the book "Meeting Japan" by Fosco Mariani, in
which Mariani described the time he was a civilian POW in Japan and he
suddenly sensed that his mother, back in Italy, had just died. Which was
true. He found out after the war she had died that hour. Anyway, I faxed a
copy of that page and Arthur faxed back something like: "by coincidence I
just today picked that book up off my shelf." Not because he remembered
that passage, just by coincidence.

Or maybe someone brought him a copy . . . It was something like that. I
could look it up, since I never throw away anything.

Clarke was fascinated by coincidences and mysterious occurrences. I think
he was interested in the occult, but he did not want to admit it, being of
such a scientific bent. He did a TV series "Mysterious Universe."

My guess is that if extrasensory perception exists, Clarke himself had no
trace of it, even though he was fascinated by it. In that, he resembles the
character Rupert Boyce in his book, "Childhood's End." Boyce is
investigating ESP and has a library of books on it. He is described:

"He pretends to be open-minded and skeptical, but it's clear that he would
never have spent so much time and effort in this field unless he had some
subconscious faith. I challenged him on this and he admitted I was probably
right. . . .

In many ways Boyce is remarkably obtuse and simpleminded. This makes his
attempts to do research in this, of all fields, rather pathetic."

I believe this is actually Clarke's rueful description of himself.

I myself have no trace of ESP.