It is about 440 square feet on top of my flat patio roof.  It is 2 strings
of 15 in parallel for a total of 30 panels.  The total installed cost was
$35k, but I got back $20k from the state of FL (an incentive for growing a
solar business in FL) and then I got back about $2500 in tax credits.  So
the net to me was about $12.5k.  I have a single grid tie inverter that
connects directly to my AC main.  FPL installed a bi-directional reading
main meter and a separate meter to measure how much power I am generating
instantaneously (at no expense to me).  Now I can go to the FPL web site,
log into my account, and see a plot of my monthly, daily, and every 15
minutes power generation.  There is not a single moving part in the system
- not even a fan.  My inverter is outside so as not to dump the waste heat
into the house where it would have to be pumped out by the A/C.

Each 15 panel string produces about 450VDC under load and this is converted
with a switching grid-tie inverter to the 220V at 96% efficiency (I tested
it).  This works out well because the available current (hence power)
varies constantly with cloud cover.  With complete cloud cover I get about
30% output.  When you can't even see the sun through the clouds, you still
get about 10% output.  This means I am still making power at 450VDC when it
is raining - so the electrical connections and the panels must all be
nicely waterproof of the electrolytic corrosion would eat it up.  That
really worries me about the thin film panels that they are mounting
directly to the roof surface now.  They will be making power while under
water during the rain.

I also have a separate directly heated solar hot water system.  This is a
simple system that is very reliable - simple because we are in a clime
where it never freezes.