On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 6:33 AM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

Eric Walker <eric.wal...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gates was at the helm of Microsoft when it acquired DOS.  DOS came out
>> many years after and was an anorexic imitation of UNIX.
>>

> That is incorrect. They brought it out within months, not years.

I had in mind the initial release dates, not the time to market:

UNIX, April, 1969.
DOS, August, 1981.

That's 12 years to learn from an excellent, pathbreaking operating system.
 In this context it matters little to say DOS was a CP/M clone rather than
a UNIX clone (as others have rightly pointed out).  Those twelve, blessed
years were made available by a divine providence to the people making
decisions about operating systems, and then utterly wasted on them when
they came up with DOS (or CP/M).  (I imagine there were other good OSs
other than UNIX at the time, although this is the one from that era I am
most familiar with.)

It was not long before UNIX was ported to the PC, so it also does not
matter that UNIX was developed for a timesharing environment.  An early
incompatibility between UNIX and the early PCs was the lack of memory
protection, but this was eventually added as well.

Eric