Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> The cost per FLOP or per byte of storage has declined by many orders of
> magnitude. BUT, we spend a lot more on computers than we did in 1970.
>

> We spend much more now so this is not comparable and disproves your former
> assertion ...

It is comparable. You are missing the point. The unit cost of energy falls
but overall consumption will increase. The total amount spent may also
increase, although I doubt that individual consumption will cost more.
Society as a whole may spend more when you include things like massive
desalination projects.

>  and you still do not have a grasp of the time issue, wrt energy and IP
> and trade secrets etc. LENR will not happen quickly and it will cost
> slightly more for many years, due to the novelty if nothing else.

It may not take many years. That is hard to say. It is in the interests of
Rossi and other IP holders to bring out cold fusion as quickly as possible,
and to lower the cost as rapidly as possible. For two reasons: patents do
not last long; and with a product of this nature you earn more selling many
units at a low cost than you do selling a few at a high cost.