Jed--

What about gold?

Bob

From: Jed Rothwell
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 12:46 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Is there an echo in here?

H Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

  If people stopped valuing flowers, the tulip bulb would cease to have value.

True, but people have valued flowers in every culture, in every era in recorded
history. It seems to be inborn. Or instinctual. So there is little chance that
people will stop valuing them. Whereas people do stop valuing fad items such as
pet rocks.

Consuming anything other than food, water and housing might be considered a
whim. Or optional. There is no chance out values will change so much that
people stop buying pretty things such as paintings, clothing or flowers.

  Likewise if people stopped valuing computer science, bit coins would cease to
have value.

I would not say computer science. Computer science is valuable in its own
right, and lucrative. Bitcoins are a product of computer science but their lure
is they let you hide money transactions from governments. They are "anonymous
and untraceable" (sez Krugman -- I wouldn't know). They are less effective as a
way to store money, since the value fluctuates so much.