Hi Harry,
[snip]
>> When grains made of long chain molecules rub against one another molecules
>> can
>> be broken (this should happen with some plastics too). When a molecule
>> breaks,
>> it can either form two neutral molecules, or a pair of ions. The latter
>> constitute opposing charges on two separate grains (each gets part of the
>> original molecule). Breaking into two charged ions may be more likely in
>> molecules containing atoms such as Oxygen which tend to hold onto excess
>> electrons, thus retaining a negative charge.
>> Regards,
>>
>> Robin van Spaandonk
>>
>> http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/project.html
>>

>Here is another story about the same research.  Apparently they detected
>the same effect with "glass particles".
>http://www.livescience.com/43686-earthquake-lights-possible-cause.html
>
>If ions are formed in the way you describe wouldn't these microscopic
>charge differences
>tend to cancel out at the macroscopic level?
>
>Harry

Yes, I would think so. That's the flaw in my theory. When two different
substances rub together, one will probably have a greater electron affinity than
the other, which would explain bulk polarization of charge, however the same
can't be said for a single substance. I guess that's why they are so puzzled.
Now I am too. :)

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk