The spin of the proton is the big puzzle in particle physics. The quarks in
the proton contribute less than half of the required proton spin. The
gluons contribute the remainder of the spin. But theory says that gluons
should not have spin.

If gluons have spin then they must be magnetic and they can be effected by
magnetic force. But the gluons are the force carriers of the strong force;
the strong force is not magnetic. But the strong force must be magnetic if
the gluons have spin.

Something is not right about how theory defines the strong force and it
will take LENR, IMHO, to solve this issue.