Eric, I have seen graphs of the predicted global temperatures from several
different models and they all show a rapid increase during the questionable
period.  Not one of them indicate that a pause was conceivable.  They would
have thrown a skeptic out of the office had he suggested that a pause was
remotely possible.  Look into this if you do not believe it....a good first
start is the latest BBC article in their science section.

I believe like you that most of these guys really work hard at building their
models.  The problem is that the climate is an extraordinarily complex system.
Forcing inputs occur on a daily, monthly, yearly, and most likely other cyclic
periods that are not well understood.  The interactions between the various
component systems also is quite complicated and not well understood.  Every
couple of years another major factor is uncovered and consequently added to the
models in an effort to reduce errors.

If you evaluate the performance of these guys relative to the state of the art,
they get an A regardless of how well their models perform since there is no
perfect model to compare them against.  No one really knows how well the
climate can be predicted by the most perfect model that man can devise.  I
venture to guess that the present state of the art is a long way removed from
that ideal, but that is my opinion only and it is based upon the track record
that I have observed over the years.  I suspect that a model can be adjusted
that will include the present pause, but no one can guess whether or not the
expected behavior after the pause is completed will be accurately predicted.

You appear to want to defer to the experts a bit too much Eric.  I suggest that
you use some of your excellent capabilities to question there performance
against the known standard and insist that they measure up.  After all, the
advice that these guys is offering could damage the US and world economies when
misused by politicians.   It is quite important that they get it right.

Dave