David Roberson <dlrober...@aol.com> wrote:

Weather forecast is virtually perfect for the next hour at most locations
> but hopeless in predicting what will happen in a week.  I view the global
> warming modeling process in a similar manner.

As I pointed out, and as countless climate experts have pointed out, you
have no justification for this view of yours. Long term climate prediction
and near term weather prediction are related in some ways, but they are
VERY DIFFERENT in important ways. That is what the experts say. They give
compelling reasons. You are ignoring their reasons. You resemble a
self-appointed expert on Wikipedia writing bogus reasons not to believe
tritium measurements in cold fusion.

Your demand is irrational. It is, as I said, like demanding that an
epidemiologist or a life insurance expert tell you the year and month that
you yourself will die from disease. Just because we can predict these
things for large groups of people that does not give us the ability to
predict it for individuals. The ability to make long term predictions of
the climate is an entirely different science from weather prediction. One
cannot be held to the standards of the other.

> So, how are we as a society supposed to evaluate the output of the global
> warming scientists?  It makes perfect sense to expect them to be able to
> demonstrate correlation between their predictions and what actually happens
> a few years into the future.

Says who? Where did you get that information? Who told you that climatology
should work a few years in the future? Do you also make claims about the
timescale of theories and models in chemistry in physics that you have not
studied? Are you going to say that a calorimeter with a 1-hour timescale
should work equally well measuring a heat burst lasting 10 milliseconds?

If they do not make predictions a few years into the future, they probably
have good reasons. Unless you know a great deal about their work, and you
have evaluated their reasons, you have no business second guessing them or
making demands. People should never assume they know more than experts!
That has been the whole problem with cold fusion from day one. People think
they know more about electrochemistry and calorimetry than Fleischmann. You
sound like the people who tell me that if cold fusion is real, we should
have cold fusion powered automobiles by now. They have no idea what the
problems are, or what the limitations of the science are.