In his previous bomb calorimetry, only a COP of about 2 was reported.  I
have previously pointed out in detail the flaw in this calorimetry owing to
the variable heat taken away by the large copper electrodes between the
control and the actual experiment.  Because of this flaw, the COP could be
substantially over-estimated - easily by a factor of 2.  Thus, even the COP
of 2 was not "demonstrated".

I think it extremely unlikely that by controlling the gap you could tune
the energy delivered down by even 50%.  This type of welder has no separate
means of initiating plasma - it requires the contact.  It probably has a
saturable core to limit the current flow.  A special apparatus would be
needed to deliver an ignition pulse and then a controlled energy in the
plasma conduction.  This would probably be a regulated capacitor discharge
circuitry to get to the very high current, but short pulse needed to create
a 5 joule ignition.  I think there is no chance to verify a 5 joule
ignition with this spot welder setup.

Best case is to replicate what Mills has done with ~200 joule input and
with better calorimetry (for example, doing it with the electrodes under
water).

Bob Higgins