Eric,

I am an EE.  I would try it myself, but I don't have a spot welder.  DI
water is very high resistance - essentially an insulator. But it won't stay
non-conductive for long if you are welding in it. One of the electrodes is
likely ground. To boot, you are normally connecting the electrodes to
conductive sheet metal and no one is getting electrocuted. I would be more
concerned about the energetics. I would just start with snapping the
electrodes in a plastic bucket with DI water - or maybe distilled water to
start.  I would put the electrode bars through holes in a sheet of plastic
so water cannot splash up into the welder. Doing this underwater I estimate
to be a step forward over what Mills did; and simpler. When testing with a
fuel pellet, I might encapsulate the prepared pellet in wax to isolate it -
then crush through the wax with the electrodes.

Of course, if someone is uncomfortable with doing this, they shouldn't try
it!  Protect yourself!

Bob