I feel that a universal basic income would only work in a society where there was sufficient mutual trust and undestanding to make it work. The problem with those who propose such ideas can be that they think that everyone else is like them. I suspect that if that was the case then the scheme would work. You dont have to see much news to realise that we are not there yet, which means the scheme would fail (PInker's "The Angels of our better nature" provides some background)

I wonder whether a more workable/realistic alternative is to introduce artificial inefficiencies into society such that more people need to work. Ideally the inefficiencies are ones which mean that fewer resources, but more people are needed to do what needs to be done. It might be cheaper to buy new rather than repair, but with the appropriate inefficiencies we can make it cheaper to repair (using the repair shop round the corner) rather than buy new.

However, I cant work out what the inefficiencies would need to be, and how they could be introduced.

Nigel