I am sure you are right Jed "artificial inefficiency (or make-work) is
ridiculous". However, we do not need that. There are many things not
invented yet. (Even LENR might be funded by a few enthusiast having nothing
else to do but what interested them. Even today some people write blog
posts without any chance to be paid - must be interest??:) ) The situation
was the same when the industrial revolution happened. People said it was
better to do real (farm work) than to make automobiles for rich spoiled
people. We change and our values change also. Our problem is that we are
not prepared to jump to the new era. We are afraid of the change. Not such
a new phenomena. America was early in the industrial revolution. GB, which
was a more powerful country a hundred years ago decided that its colonies
would keep GB in top. Well . . .

Nigel, I think your fears are making you try to find an answer to the
question; which came first the hen or the egg? In a society where we can
offer everybody the basics - trust will evolve. Debatable if it is good or
bad but I think we are more alike now then we were a hundred years ago. I
do agree that there is period when some people will take the opportunity to
abuse the system but that is the cost of progress.

Best Regards ,
Lennart Thornros

www.StrategicLeadershipSac.com
lenn...@thornros.com
+1 916 436 1899
202 Granite Park Court, Lincoln CA 95648

“Productivity is never an accident. It is always the result of a commitment
to excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort.” PJM