Axil Axil <janap...@gmail.com> wrote:

In the 2010 Patent, Rossi said that he experimentally verified that nickel
> was transmuted to copper.

Big mistake. He should not have made that claim. That transmutation serves
no useful purpose at present, so he should not have mentioned it. (This is
what French and others have told me.)

> The patent examiner stated in the rejection of that patent, that no known
> science can verify that nickel can transmute to copper, so the device is
> inoperable.

Is that what the examiner said? He should have said there is no
experimental proof that nickel can transmute to copper with a process of
this nature, so proof must be submitted. Patents are contingent in
experimental evidence, not theory. You can violate all the theory you want,
as long as you can prove it works.

> Ergo, the group that is eventually awarded the LENR  patent must prove
> that LENR is supported by existing science.

Not according to David French and the other patent experts I have heard
from. The only reason an inventor might have to do this would be if they
claim that LENR is supported by existing science and they include a
specific theory in the patent application to back this up. They should say
nothing about theory. The Patent Office cannot bring up the subject.

There is only exception to this rule as far as I know. The Patent Office
can summarily dismiss applications for perpetual motion machines. That is,
for machines that violate the laws of thermodynamics. Some people say the
Patent Office should reject all cold fusion applications on this basis. I
disagree. I think these devices are predicated on those laws. In any case,
as long as the researchers do not claim that cold fusion runs forever
without any sort of fuel, they should be in the clear.