>From the perspective of IP strategy, Rossi was in a catch-22 in 2010.  If
he fully disclosed in a patent application, he risked having the
application denied while simultaneously letting his trade secrets out into
the wild, where others could copy him without his having legal protection.

In light of this conundrum, I see the 2010 patent application either as
something that was half-baked and drawn up without the benefit of competent
counsel, or possibly without heeding counsel; or, alternatively, like Jones
suggests, as a diversion.  It would have been one of these two, because the
application itself is obviously inadequate, with misspellings and
meanderings into theory and so on.  With regard to the possibility of
diversion, one question I have is whether a patent application that is
filed in bad faith (i.e., without the intention of really disclosing
something) will land you into difficulties later on, if you want to file a
bona fide application.  My best bet at this point:  Rossi decided to go it
on his own and didn't consult a good attorney and ended up improvising the
patent application with Focardi's help.  He wanted to be coy, avoiding
giving away too much information, fully aware of the conundrum he was in,
but he didn't understand patent law enough at the time to avoid common
pitfalls and put together a solid application.

Personally, I think the details of Rossi's 2010 patent application remind
me most of Piantelli's EU patent.

Eric

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 8:03 AM, Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> The “noise” at USPTO on Rossi’s behalf could be designed to both to keep
> “something” in play, but additionally to also provide a high level of
> disinformation to patent trolls who have already tried to “claim jump”
> Rossi.

I also agree that Rossi has failed to completely disclose his invention.