I believe the ends, between the central tube and the outer 2 cm hot tube,
are filled in with a refractory cement.  In fact, that whole space, and
maybe not the ends could be filled in to help improve the thermal
conductivity.  Most importantly it should keep out the air that could
oxidize the heater wire.  It would not have to be hydrogen tight or
anything - just keep out the air.  If you look at the photo, the ends don't
look beautifully finished, nor need they be.

The central tube is probably a cast tube with one end having a cast in
closure.  The open end, as the report says, is plugged with an alumina tube
having in its center a thermocouple.  When the plug is glued into place
(available nearly line-to-line fit from Coorstek), it will seal the end of
the central tube.