I wrote:

With the acquisition of the technology by IH, Rossi has had the opportunity
> to avail himself of competent counsel.  At face value it seems he has not
> done so.  Or perhaps this is another play of some kind.  Things never seem
> to get boring.

One reason has occurred to me for Rossi's filing an incomplete and
inadequate patent application.  As David French says in the article, claims
in an initial filing can be thought of as placeholders.  Rossi's patent
attorneys might be making this bet: it is not difficult to put in an
application now in order to get an early date of priority.  But it's far
from guaranteed that an application will be approved, so better not to
reveal any trade secrets at this point.  If things look different in a
year, the application can be amended to fix the deficiencies, filling in
the information that was left out.  If things do not look better in a year,
the application can be abandoned without having released the enabling
information (e.g., about the catalyst).

A little bit of an indirect strategy, but it kind of makes sense to me.

Eric