On 14.08.2005 09:59, Peter Amstutz wrote:
> The compiler situation on Windows is being a real pain in the ass.
> Currently I am using the MinGW/Msys toolchain, and it works well enough.
> However, the debugger support is terrible -- gdb is basically useless,
> which is making it quite a bit harder to track down bugs.

Don't know if you have tried yet, but check out gdb-6.3 (from mingw.org,
a bit down the downloads list). I had to do some (little) debugging
recently, and while gdb-5.something failed to get CS plugin debug info,
6.3 worked well in this regard.

> it's not sufficient on its own.  In addition, I don't know if there is a
> console-mode debugger.  As far as I know (I'd love to be proven wrong
> :-) it's only possible to do debugging via Visual Studio...

There are the "Debugging Tools" which also contain a GUI debugger,
WinDbg. I never used it, though.

The VC 2003 Toolkit is limited in other regards, too. For example, it
doesn't get shipped with the libraries to link with the DLL version of
the C runtime (msvcr71.dll). If you google around, you'll find
instructions and workarounds to use the VC Toolkit for a number of OSS
projects - but it seems it's actually a bit of work to get the VC
Toolkit properly support a project.

> However, the beta seems to be severely limited in a
> couple crucial ways that make it a pain in the ass to use, so it's not
> an option for the time being.  When VS 2005 comes out for real, we'll
> see...

What limits do you mean? At least CrystalSpace compiles with it. There
were some rough edges first, though, but I eventually sorted them out.

-f.r.