On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, sconzey wrote:

Looking through sourceforge projects for a starting point. :)

Ah, great. Good thing we have the project registered there, although we don't really need their resources.

I have windows 2000 dual booting with SuSE 9.0 on my desktop, I've got
cygwin installed on 2000 for when I can't be assed to reboot.

I've got Eclipse and MSVC for windows, and I've got Eclipse and I'm afraid I
like emacs for Linux...

I've got Windows XP on a laptop, with Eclipse, although MSVC can be
installed.

Ok, so you're good for either Windows or Linux development. Those are our primary platforms, so we like developers who can move between them :-)

You probably want to start with Linux, though. Setting up the development environment on Windows is still a bit complicated (although I'm working on making it easier).

I've been programming on and off in a variety of languages for a variety of
platforms, my two top languages at the moment are Java and C++, athough my
C++ is a little rusty. I know some perl, some python...

I've never really done any serious coding though, most of the applications
-- though successful and complete were at most a couple of files, a few
hundred lines of code. I'm afraid I'm not too familliar with CVS, except by
concept.

Fair enough. VOS is written in C++, so working with VOS will be a great way to learn more :-)

Head over to
  http://interreality.org/static/docs/manual-html/compiling.html
and follow the directions for checking out from CVS and compiling.

I should warn you that the instructions on how to compile VOS might be a little bit out of date. If you encounter any problems, feel free to ask us on the mailing list and IRC channel for help.

The scripting sounds quite interesting, what's been done so far?

The goal is to make the entire VOS API accessable from Python. This means one could either write a pure Python program that makes use of VOS, or that Python snippits could be embedded in a VOS application as extension modules.

We are using a tool called SWIG (Simplified Wrapper and Interface Generator, http://www.swig.org). What it does is scan the C++ header files that make up VOS and automagically produces the "glue" code that connects the Python interpreter runtime to VOS by marshalling Python calls into C++ and vice versa.

If that sounds complicated, it is, but SWIG does most of the heavy lifting. Most of the legwork involved is figuring out workarounds for things in VOS that SWIG doesn't handle or doesn't map cleanly from C++ to Python.

Right now we have the VOS core API wrapped, so a lot of the hard stuff has already been figured out. What is left to do is to go through the metaobject_misc and metaobject_a3dl libraries, incorporating them in the SWIG input file and testing to see that everything works as expected. We should also start thinking about designs for embedding Python code into VOS. I have some ideas about new metaobject types that are specifically script-enabled, for example a new implementation of the property interface that calls python code to generate a value on the fly.

Lots to do :-)

[   Peter Amstutz   ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ][ [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ]
[Lead Programmer][Interreality Project][Virtual Reality for the Internet]
[ VOS: Next Generation Internet Communication][ http://interreality.org ]
[ http://interreality.org/~tetron ][ pgpkey:  pgpkeys.mit.edu  18C21DF7 ]