Lalo Martins wrote:
> I like #1.  When I did a mockup a long long time ago, I went with a
> similar idea, and I think it's still valid; the metaphor being that
> you're looking at a few "flat" widgets floating in a 3d space.

The main thing I don't like is it's too dark and black, which might
scare some people off a bit :)  (Even if just subconciously).  Maybe
I'll make a different render that has more of a twilight or sunrise
gradient to it, and I want to find better background images for the boxes.

> Also, in my own mockup, I used partial opacity in the boxes.  Maybe mine
> were too transparent, but something like 90%, 95% would look good?  (The
> problem with a lower value being, of course, that the Celestia background
> was black with white stars, which would clash with the text...)

I tried some transparency, but it does slow down rendering, and with
such sparse stars it doesn't add much. If there were more or better
stars or more planets or other scenery in the BG that might be cool.
Maybe a PNG with alpha transparency wouldn't slow it down as much, and
it could provide better borders.

I did want the background to look very CGI, could even turn it into flat
unsmothed polygons or put a wireframe on it.

--
http://interreality.org/~reed