Hello Jeff,

Am Wednesday 17 December 2008 20:18:28 schrieb Jeff R. Allen:
> One thing that might be confusing you is that Grub is zero-based, and
> Linux is one-based (with respect to partition numbering). So if your
> BOOT_FS is on the first partition on the disk, and linux on your host
> machine sees it as /dev/sdb1, and your kernel is at /boot/vmlinuz,
> then you need "root (hd0,0)" in the menu.lst, not hd0,1.
[...]
> So, in summary, I think you need to change your menu.lst to have "root
> (hd0,0)" and edit your fstab to include /boot (leave / out, it will
> take care of itself).

thank you very much - I had tomatoes on my eyes ;-)

For later reference, I will document all the steps done in the wiki.

> I was experimenting with some changes to do this stuff, but I decided
> to go another route, which is to make my own initrd, which I then boot
> via PXE. That gives me an environment where I can partition and format
> the CF card, then do an automated install of Voyage, and can finally
> do customizations (generate a host key, record a serial number, etc).
> This is heavy overhead for the casual Voyage hobbiest, but would be
> useful to others who are trying to manufacture a series of boxes and
> need to have some assurance they were all done exactly the same way.
>
> If people are interested, I can post a tarfile explaining what I'm doing.
>
>   -jeff

yes, I am interested in this tarfile, since I'm trying to build about 10
OpenVPN-router-boxes for our home-offices.

Has someone on this list experiences with this? Is the AMD Geode 800 in the
ALIX 2d3 with 256 MB RAM, or with 512 MB RAM in a Soekris 5501 strong enough
to handle a OpenVPN-tunnel over a fast (6 MBit/s or 16 MBit/s)
DSL-Internet-uplink?

I built such OpenVPN-routers on a MIPS-hardware (ASUS WL500g premium) with
pure Debian. This works good, but the external USB-stick is point of failure
(o man, i can tell you what can happen, if normal office-people are handling
such appliances ;-) ), so I wanted to use the nice looking and all-inside
ALIX 2d3 ...

Cheers from Stuttgart / BW / Germany
Christoph.

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Yours sincerely
Christoph Haas