Hi Andreas - I have checked my notes and this has been "an issue" going
back to at least SuSE Linux (a fine German product) in 2006. So, it is not
Voyage-linux specific, but maybe Debian related.
Here is at least one good reason for this: suppose you have a server
running in a data center and you need to add some more Ethernet ports. You
have the DC people put in the card and turn the machine back on. It would
be very bad if the port assignment algorithm decided to assign one of the
new ports to eth0. That new port would likely not even be plugged into a
switch port at boot time and you would have to use the serial console (if
you have one) to sort out the mess.

However, I agree that your situation was frustrating, and I have
experienced it myself.

Jon

--
Jon T. Meek, Ph.D.