J.R.Suckling
> Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2000 9:53 AM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [vtcl] anything new since 1.2.0?
>

> Rick Macdonald wrote:
> > There are some features missing for me in vTcl that I don't think are
> > easily added:
>
> This first one might not be so hard.
>
> > - multi source file development.
>
> The biggest deal here is that all the code that is sourced into
> vtcl becomes part of the vtcl project.   By that I mean when you
> save your work everything, including all the sourced code, is saved.

Just making sure I understand this...if you have multiple source files and
you source them
in your vtcl file...those seperate files are assimilated into the new vtcl
source for the current project?  Why was it done this way instead of leaving
them in their original file?

> There is a set of code that is not saved, that is the vtcl code it's
> self.  from  what I can tell is that all the code that is prefixed with
> 'vTcl' is not saved.  One solution might be to turn this around and
> define a prefix unique to each vtcl project ( or file ).  Now use that
> prefix to mark procs in the vtcl project.  This set of prefixed procs
> could be the only ones saved that way an external set of procs
> could be used.
>
> > - calling one vTcl project from another.
>
> tcl was meant to be process glue from the start.
> I think that should be done in software. open a pipe or something.
>
> Or am I missing something.
>
> Is this different from  multi source file development?

So this would require searching and identifying piping commands? or
references to external commands? with these being included in the project
tree?

> > - multiple instances of a toplevel, including some sort of
> >   dynamic widget alias scheme.

I thought there already was an aliasing scheme (I seem to recall something
like that in the tutorial)?  I don't recall if it works on the top level
though.  When would you need multiple toplevel items?  Could you just have
.($toplevel1) and .($toplevel2) just as easily?  Isn't this a tcl/tk
shortfall (only have one . and when you kill it, it exits the program -
right?)

> vtcl does not do dynamic widget creation. What I do is let vtcl make a
prototype.
> than I include that in a proc and a loop. (ie. I do my self)

What do you mean when you say it doesn't do dynamic widget creation?  As I
understand vtcl, it is more for making the gui and you fill in how the gui
reacts (when it's loaded, when it's hidden)

I am a little rusty on my tcl/tk/vtcl so forgive me if I'm slightly off..

Eric Bresie