On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann <k...@gmx.de> wrote:
Am 17.12.2012 16:47, schrieb Richard Hughes:
On 5 December 2012 14:32, Pekka Paalanen <ppaala...@gmail.com> wrote:

One of the most important use cases is a video player in a window. It
has XRGB or ARGB window decorations, usually the video content in YUV,
and possibly an ARGB overlay for subtitles etc. Currently, the client
has to color-convert the video, and merge it with the decorations and
subtitles, before sending the grand ARGB buffer to the compositor.

A subsurface idea was what Øyvind and I
were discussing at the OpenICC hackfest when we were talking about
tagging a surface with a known ICC profile. This would allow a toolkit
to declare a window area to be AdobeRGB or some home-created camera
profile from a jpeg that has been tagged with an embedded color
profile.

Sounds natural to help with CM compositing needs and was therefore discussed
[1] for OpenICC's Color Management Near X project in 2008.

However, we had seen quite some objections around subwindows at that time.
Did something substancial change on that matter?
I don't see anything there that applies to Wayland. The link to the
original proposal is also dead.

the old thread starter from Tomas for reference: http://www.spinics.net/lists/xorg/msg35268.html

To put the question in other words, do Qt and Gtk developers now or soon
play with the idea to use wayland as the internal compositing core?

I believe both have paths to use subwindows/subsurfaces for video and
OpenGL. These can probably be used for clients with special needs,
such as image viewers and editors which would simply attach an ICC
profile to the subsurface. For compositing they could use subsurfaces
to optimize scrolling performance. I expect that to happen with
browsers first and I believe Android already does that.

Reads encouraging.

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2008-June/msg00150.html