On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Kevin Ollivier <kev...@theolliviers.com>wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On Jul 10, 2009, at 11:06 AM, David Kilzer wrote:
>

>>  So, does anyone think this would be a bad idea, or have any
>>> alternate suggestions on how to improve things?
>>>

>> What about adding support for waf to gyp?
>>

> If we're talking about Chromium, waf is much faster for building WebKit
> than scons is, so yeah, I would say adding the ability to use it instead of
> scons is a no-brainer.
>
> As for wx, while I'm open to the idea of using gyp to help others out or
> simplify matters for the core devs, for us I'm pretty sure it will mostly
> just be one more added layer to our build system. I've been using Bakefile
> for years now and while I thought the idea was great at first, I've found it
> mostly a pain to work with. Some of that is due to Bakefile itself, of
> course (like the latest bug...), but a lot of it is just the general
> approach and issues inherent with adding one more tool to the toolchain.
> Even though there's some sort of meta-tool generating the build projects, it
> only reduces, not removes, the need to understand and deal with the native
> project formats it outputs. Also, since the meta-tool can have bugs or
> missing features too, there's an additional point of failure added, and also
> added work in terms of maintaining the build system. Plus, any time you want
> to add a feature, you should look into how to implement it in the various
> formats that gyp supports to avoid hacks, a process which can sometimes
> require pretty creative solutions for less capable build tools. And there's
> also the fact that, if wx uses gyp, people are going to start asking for
> support for their favorite project format, which is just one more thing to
> deal with.
>
> In short, I think I've just come to be soured on the approach in general. I
> think I've come to agree with the point that the waf site makes about
> domain-specific languages not being a good idea for build systems, and when
> you use a tool like Bakefile or gyp, you not only need to become familiar
> with that tool's project file language, but also to some level with the
> formats of the project files that it outputs in order to debug or add new
> capabilities. With waf, all I ever really need to know is Python, which I
> already know, and the waf APIs, which I'm learning but for the most part
> have been pretty simple and straightforward to work with. The bottom line
> for me is that anything that has me spending less time on maintaining the
> build system and more on the actual product is a good thing in my book. ;-)

Your argument makes sense if WebKit is only built for one
platform/build-system.  Unfortunately it's not.  So the question is whether
it's easier to maintain lots of different build files or whether it's easier
to maintain one file that's perhaps a bit more abstract + the tool that
interprets it.

I agree that working directly in the project file for your platform is
easier IF you're only developing for one platform.  But once you start
maintaining more than one project file, I think GYP is a big win.

While we hope that others will update our GYPI file when they add/remove
files, our build depends on it...so we'll definitely be keeping it in sync.
 So I think the question then becomes whether it's easier for you to
maintain your new build format, or whether it's easier to make it a target
for
GYP.  I honestly don't know what the answer is, but I think it's worth
taking a closer look at GYP.