On Friday 04 December 2009 12:17:03 pm Jeremy Orlow wrote:
> I'm not necessarily disagreeing with your conclusion, but I have to ask:
> can you think of an example of a style change that isn't subjective and/or
> something that can change as "the fashion" (or, more likely, the developers
> working on the project) changes?  Even stuff like the namespace change
> really depends on your development style (to determine whether or not you
> care about those 4 extra spaces "wasted").

Very little of it is not subjective.  The main thing the style guide gives us
is consistency.  And that I am fully supportive of.  But a lot of it is merely
taste.  The compiler excepts both.  Two developers fully informed and both of
great technical prowess can reasonably disagree on almost all points of the
style guide.  That meets my definition of subjective for this purpose.

Regarding the namespace change, I objected to that change too (and for the
very same reasons) if you look through the archives.

I don't think we should be changing the style guide for anything besides
clarifications of currently unwritten rules.  No matter how the fashion may
change or how developers may change.  Changing the rules throws consistency
out the window which is, I believe, the greatest benefit of having a style
guide.

Cheers,
Adam