On Aug 16, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Ojan Vafai wrote:

> I agree that dealing with the script to generate tests and having the actual
> test content be in a different file is a significant maintenance overhead.
> But I also think that having standard testing code across many tests reduces
> the amount of effort it takes to understand a test.
>
> We discussed this at
> https://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2010-July/013673.html. I think
> Maciej's solution sounds ideal, although I'm not convinced it's worth
> including doctype for news tests.

I think it is. Tests should be in strict mode by default, unless you
specifically have a goal of testing quirks mode behavior. Quirks more is more
likely to have weird pitfalls or to change in unexpected ways over time. No
doctype == quirksmode, for HTML anyway. XML-based tests (including XHTML,
MathML and SVG) don't need a doctype. And really, "<!DOCTYPE html>" is hardly a
burden on either the reader or the writer. The short, memorable doctype is one
of my favorite things about HTML5.

Regards,
Maciej