On Oct 12, 2010, at 9:47 AM, Chris Marrin wrote:

> But refcounting is simpler and my current patch has a clear() method on
> DrawingBuffer which gets rid of all the resources. I could leave that method
> and change to a refcounted model, so the author can control when the
> resources are destroyed.
>
> What do you think, James?

I think that the combination of reference counting and explicit cleanup is a
good one, relatively easy to program correctly with, and I would lean toward
that combination.

The main cost of successfully implementing that design is making sure that each
function on DrawingBuffer is either harmless to call after clear() or contains
an assertion that it is not called after clear() with some solid reason to know
it won’t be called.

    -- Darin