On Dec 19, 2010, at 4:24 PM, David Kilzer wrote:

>> I haven't received your reply before. To capture this bug, you have
>> disable fastmalloc, and use the internal (trackable) memory allocator
>> replacement of valgrind.
>>
>> Run "build-webkit --system-malloc"
>>
>> This will redirect all allocations to the system malloc.
>
> In addition to valgrind, try running the test under guard malloc on
> Mac OS X with system malloc enabled.   See "man libgmalloc":
>
> <http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man3/libgmalloc.3.html%23//apple_ref/doc/man/3/libgmalloc
>

> Dave

Thanks for the suggestion. I had tried this with guard malloc, and
although it took something like 10x longer to run my tests, it didn't
reveal anything more interesting. In the end, I ran out of time to
truly solve the problem, and instead isolated the WebKit portion into
a separate process. That way it can crash all it likes without
affecting the host application which had a 100% uptime requirement.
Ironically, it now never crashes at all because I run it once, do what
needs to be done, and kill the child process. The bug only ever
crashed on multiple executions.

-Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email (and any related attachments) contains
information from InfoPlus (a service of Bristol Capital, Inc.).  It is intended
only for the addressee and may contain information that is confidential and/or
otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the
intended recipient or are acting as agent for the intended recipient, any use
or disclosure of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify me immediately to arrange for the
appropriate method of returning or disposing of the communication. If our
respective Companies have confidentiality provisions in effect, this email and
the materials contained herein are deemed CONFIDENTIAL and should be treated
accordingly unless expressly provided otherwise.