On Jul 1, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Adam Roben wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2011, at 7:52 PM, Darin Adler wrote:
>
>> I do think that given the tools behavior you described, we should move the
>> reviewer text after the bug title and patch description paragraph, even
>> though you explicitly said that’s not what you are proposing.
>
> I think that would be a good first step. It would definitely be better than
> what we have now from a tools perspective. And in a lot of cases these days,
> the bug title really is a short description of the change. [1]
>
> I think these two bugs will get us started:
> <http://webkit.org/b/26755> webkit-patch's commit messages are less readable
> than commit-log-editor's
> <http://webkit.org/b/63804> commit-log-editor reorders ChangeLog entries in
> unexpected ways

These two bugs have now been fixed. (There was a little fallout from bug 26755,
but hopefully that has been taken care of, too.)

prepare-ChangeLog now puts the bug title and URL first, then the "Reviewed by"
line. commit-log-editor no longer reorders the ChangeLog contents (other than
extracting common lines to the top of the commit message). webkit-patch now
uses commit-log-editor to create its commit messages.

I think this has made some of our tools a lot more useful. (See, e.g.,
<http://trac.webkit.org/log/trunk?rev=90579&stop_rev=90540>. The switch from
the old commit messages to the new ones is quite obvious.) I think it's also a
slight improvement in readability of ChangeLogs, as in many cases the bug title
is a description of the change.

I'm going to drop the "put a one-line summary at the top of your commit
message" suggestion for now. I think I've caused enough change for one email
thread. :-)

-Adam