From: webkit-dev-boun...@lists.webkit.org [webkit-dev-boun...@lists.webkit.org]
on behalf of Ryosuke Niwa [rn...@webkit.org]
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 11:33 AM
To: Ashod Nakashian
Cc: webkit-dev@lists.webkit.org
Subject: Re: [webkit-dev] Moving to Git?

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Ashod Nakashian
<ashodnakash...@yahoo.com<mailto:ashodnakash...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
Can you be more specific? What do you find wanting in the git workflow besides
the few cases raised by svn users (such as "svn up" that can be supported in
update-webkit)?

I'm also annoyed by now git diff works since I almost always want "git diff
master" as I said in another thread. There are a number of other things I don't
like about git. Also, I think I'd prefer mercurial over git for its saner
behavior and terminologies if we're switching to a different VCS but I'm not
about to start a thread for that.

Quite frankly, moving to git will make my workflow worse regardless of
improvements... It's like forcing me to use Linux instead of Windows/Mac. I'll
do it if the overwhelming majority of the community thinks that's a good thing
but I won't be happy about it.

I think if we address the main issues raised by the svn users, the current
consensus (if representative) seems to point towards an overwhelming support
(and demand?) for git over svn. On that point it's reasonable to say that we're
heading towards option #1 or #2 of Maciej. As such, I'm humbly proposing the
following (hopefully without getting ahead of myself):

Frankly, I don't quite understand the benefit of this transition. Do we really
need to move to git? If the only problem of keeping svn was about svn-apply
being broken, I'm more than happy to fix that script.

A) Address as many of the issues raised by the svn users and streamline their
use-cases in the current scripts on top of git that we can (this would leave
generation numbers out of scope as it's a git issue, although we can push that
on git's mail-list). Address any current issues that (advanced/seasoned) git
users find wanting/missing to have a solid system that capitalizes on the
powers of git as much as possible.

I'd argue that generation numbers is a requirement for this transition.
Monotonically increasing number is one major benefit of using svn server. Also,
ideally, this generation number will be consisnte with the existing svn
revision numbers so that if N is the last revision committed to the svn
repository then the first commit in the git repository should have the
generation number of N+1.

- Ryosuke

solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public
information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your
system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission
by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.