On 07/06/2012 08:23 PM, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
        Again: Differing cultures

    Indeed. You just need to get used to it.

progress depends on the unreasonable man." --G. B. Shaw

However, I don't feel strongly enough about WebKit to be
unreasonable about it :-)

    *And please, please go read webkit-dev archives before continuing
    the discussion*. I suspect there are many contributors who are
    ignoring this thread because we have this discussion every six
    months or so, and they're getting tired of it.  I'm getting tired of
    it as well.

I've been subscribed to webkit-dev since March 2011, and I don't
remember such a discussion. I could have missed it; webkit is somewhat
on the periphery of my interests.

e.g.
http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2012-March/020065.html
http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-July/017417.html
http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-March/016342.html
http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2011-January/015767.html
http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2010-February/011673.html
http://lists.webkit.org/pipermail/webkit-dev/2009-August/009625.html

These all seem to be about ChangeLogs or commit messages.  Thus
irrelevant to my point (which a number of people have agreed with)
that class-level comments are often be useful and should be encouraged
rather than discouraged (on a case-by-case basis, assuming they say
something non-obvious).

Regardless, I've said my piece. and have no interest in continuing.
--
        --Per Bothner
per.both...@oracle.com   p...@bothner.com   http://per.bothner.com/