>> On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschu...@adobe.com> wrote:
>> Depends on the future. But for such a small patch, a new flag seems to be
>> overdone. I looked into the patch, and adding the flag caused more code,
>> then the actual feature (even if the computed style is missing). I believe
>> we should remove the flag ASAP. Flags are for bigger new features of
>> features that likely will change IMO. Both seems not to be the case for
>> background-position.
>>
>> See http://trac.webkit.org/wiki/AddingFeatures
>>

> "The policy for adding new (major) features to WebKit is:"
>
> major says everything IMO. background-position is not a major feature.

As the one who asked for this flag, the main reason is to avoid
breaking feature detection until all the bits have been landed: most
features land the CSS side first and then implement the rendering side
so that they can be properly tested and reviewed. Also as Benjamin
pointed out, this gives port maintainers the option to ignore the
feature until it is ready for prime time. Here the flag was also
thought as covering the full spec, not just one property.

> However, to stay at the topic: Is there anything blocking
> 'background-position' with the new syntax? Any objections to remove the
> flags? If yes, I would like to know more about the problems.

You have just mentioned that we need to transition some other
properties to the new syntax. For coherency, I would rather avoid
removing or enabling the flag until this is done.

Thanks,
Julien