On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 6:23 PM, Marc Paré <m...@marcpare.com> wrote:

> Le 2010-12-07 12:05, Christian Lohmaier a écrit :
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Carlos Jenkins<hastciber...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> 2010/12/7 Christian Lohmaier
>>> <lohmaier+ooofut...@googlemail.com<lohmaier%2booofut...@googlemail.com>
>>> What statistics please?
>>>
>>> http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity
>>
>> distrowatch is hardly representative.
>>
>>> Put Mint, Ubuntu and Debian and you have the bigger chunk.
>>
>> Ubuntu and debian identify themselves, so what remains?
>>
>>>  Even if overall downloads would be more deb than rpm, then those with
>>>>
>>> "unknown" system would be rpm in majority,
>>>
>>> You're based on what to say that?
>>
>> Just look at the default browser in ubuntu or debian: The user agent
>> string is modified to contain ubuntu/debian. Thus all that
>> "statistics" is void, as it is not relevant for the decistion it is
>> used as argument for.
>>
>> Even if the distrowatch statistics would reflect the real user
>> distribution, the biggest hunk of Ubuntu already is out of the
>> question - and the bias strongs shifts towards rpm.
>>
>> ciao
>> Christian
>>

> This does make sense. If the script recognizes without difficulty all of the
> deb distros, then the default should be .rpm. Could someone test this with a
> deb distro + Google Chrome? Just to make sure that the script recommends
> debs. This will have to be tested again if the default is changed to .rpm.
>
> I get the same results as Sigrid on my Mandriva. It recommends deb when I use
> Chrome.

5 minutes ago I put 'linux' as default.

For Ubuntu + Chrome it recommends deb since the user agent does
contains "Ubuntu". Mine is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.7 (KHTML, like
Gecko) Ubuntu/10.10 Chromium/7.0.517.44 Chrome/7.0.517.44 Safari/534.7

> Marc
>

> --

"Make sure that Office documents very well depends on PROPRIETARY IE
capabilities."
    Bill Gates, 1998.