Hi Michael, Christoph, all-

> From: mich...@wheatland.com.au

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Christoph Noack <christ...@dogmatux.com>
> wrote:

[..]

> > My personal wish is not so much answering these questions within the
> > call, but to think about how to answer these questions with all the
> > people here. What do you (all) think?

IMHO it is not possible to reach a conclusion through even MULTIPLE meetings.

If we attempt to get full answers, the first meeting would not go beyond the
1.x topics.

@Verbal vs. written vs visual discussion:
Verbal discussion is the least suited tool; because it is easy to
overlook/ignore important aspects.
Also, since many participants are non-English; a discussion would not be
convenient.

Discussion on wiki ranks next-worst, because people can expound on their
theories without reaching a consensus.

A option-selection tool such as Ubuntu Brainstorm is next-best, as it allows
arguments in favor of a given option.
But it works best when the problem and optional solutions are clearly known
beforehand.

For free-wheeling discussion and deriving solutions, concept-mapping (or
argument-mapping) is the best tool.
It can be installed on Drupal (SilverStripe does not have any similar tool).
Alternatively a CMAP instance can be set up on a server temporarily.

@How to remove "Not invented here" bias:
I know people are still thinking about a faceoff between Silverstripe and
Drupal.
To remove such bias, CS should establish a "Lab" domain on the LibreOffice site.
This is like the famous Google labs, where things would be tried out within a
closed group, before rolling out on large scale.

Anything new -be it "Drupal" or any other tool- should be tried there after
getting approval.
The proposer should create a project charter and publish it for general
discussion and approval.

> > [1] http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Website/ConfCall/Agenda

> I totally agree that we will likely not be able to answer the
> questions in the call, as the answer to many of these questions will
> require consultation with many other teams.

> The expectation, as I understand it, is to assign specific people to
> work at the interface between these teams, who have both the knowledge
> of 'what is possible' and knowledge on the given topic.

I would like to be on that team.

Regards,
Narayan