perhaps then, there could be a fork as a side project. It is only
restructuring how the files are located, and perhaps a coulple extra
features, like.. eggs perhaps for packaging apps, or pwars.

I'd certainly be interested in just forking Webware to see if people like
it as an experiment for future development of Webware.

On Thu, March 22, 2007 3:30 am, Christoph Zwerschke wrote:
>> Why not gear webware towards the standards tomcat and jetty follow?
>> Doing
>> so would woo over some Java programmers looking for a lighter server to
>> create applications.
>
> Maybe this is something we can consider in a next major version where we
> decide we can break things. It would be also good to use the features of
> Python eggs instead of Webware's peculiar Plugin-concept and to make
> WebKit more central (in the beginning, it was only one plugin on par
> with CGIWrapper and others that might be developed).
>
> But I still like Webware's idea of having one central installation and
> separate "working directories" with Webware applications that you can
> install everywhere (e.g. in user's home directories). In the last
> versions, the working dirs have also become relocatable, i.e. you can
> simply move them around from user A's home to user B's home.
>
> By the way, TurboGears and Django do it similarly. Webware's
> MakeAppWorkDir command corresponds to tg-admin quickstart or
> django-admin startproject which also create separate dirs anywhere.
>
> Anyway, remember that Webware was developed at a time when there was no
> Tomcat (only JServ and the servlet concept were already there I think)
> and Python was version 1.5.2 or so. Now we have already many Webware
> applications running which still need to be supported, so if we ever
> break things, we would do this in a new 2.0 branch or so, and still try
> to not break things without very good reasons. And just following
> standards from the Java world are not good enough reasons for us
> Pythonistas, otherwise we would be happily using Tomcat ;-)
>
> -- Chris

email: tsume [at] tsumelabs [dot] com
phone: 907.399.2337
http://www.tsumelabs.com - software and web site design