On Thursday 16 June 2005 04:41 pm, Marcos wrote:
> I sent this to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hi marcos,

yes, i've received your email but i haven't answered yet. sorry, i have been
very busy lately.

> But what are your oppinion about ?
>
> --------
>
> Hi!
> wget's official WebPage says you are the current wget maiteiner. Cool!
>
> I have read the whole documentation of wget and the official webpage, and
> it seens wget is not (yet) able to download a file from multiple servers at
> the same time. (Like Windows GetRight does)
>
> And I just felt like developing such feature.
> Before that I have two questions
>
> a) Is this feature really not yet avaliable ?

you're right. wget does not support file downloads from multiple servers.

> b) If I develop it, would you be kind enought to merge my code on the
> official getright tree ? Of course my code would be GPLed.

i suppose you are talking about the wget tree.

i can't promise in advance that a patch submitted for wget will be merged in
our CVS, but if the code is good, the author is willing to assign copyright
to the FSF, and the feature is deemed necessary by the users, then i will
definitely accept that patch.

> c) if so, I have a question about the interface: do you think an option to
> add a mirror URL DURRING a download would be interesting, or do you think
> that would break the wget's filosophy ?

well, wget is not getright, and the "download files from multiple servers"
feature is probably more suitable to graphical downloaders, where the user
can interact with the program and choose the appropriate download behaviour.

i personally don't like the idea of adding such a feature to wget. but again,

--
Aequam memento rebus in arduis servare mentem...

Mauro Tortonesi                          http://www.tortonesi.com

University of Ferrara - Dept. of Eng.    http://www.ing.unife.it
Institute for Human & Machine Cognition  http://www.ihmc.us
GNU Wget - HTTP/FTP file retrieval tool  http://www.gnu.org/software/wget