On Sat, 25 Jun 2005, Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

> Despite the apparent consensus that it should be integrated in
> Autoconf, the integration never materialized.  When I queried about
> this in 2003 (http://tinyurl.com/a63lc), the single response
> charmingly told me that "the solution is libtool."  I now think the
> appropriate answer to that should have been, "Libtool -- just say NO!"

 Well, this is certainly an overstatement, but you certainly have a point.
The idea behind libtool is good and the implementation is reasonable.
Bugs are of course inevitable and you shouldn't be surprised seeing them
especially as on exotic platforms (you even admit you've never been able
to reproduce some of the other's problems on your systems).  GNU software
relies on public testing, but unfortunately many users fail to provide
useful reports for bugs they spot and for those exotic platforms it may
mean nobody ever knows about them.

 You're certainly right C++/Fortran/whatever tests are superfluous, not
only for wget -- they should probably only be enabled on demand, like GCJ
tests already are.  That should qualify as a bug -- but have you filed it
to the libtool team?

 You mentioned the lack of documentation, but it doesn't appear magically
by itself, does it?  Perhaps nobody else tried to use libtool like wget
did.  Yours could be a useful experience -- have you considered submitting
your results for inclusion?

 Having said that I have to admit you are probably right with your
decision -- OpenSSL are not libtool libraries and this is probably the
most important cause of problems.  For building programs rather than
libraries themselves libtool is most useful when libtool libraries are
involved.  In this case for example it can help with pulling dependencies
for static libraries (archives) that do not record that information
themselves.  With non-libtool libraries you need to discover it yourself
anyway.

 Finally, there are so many people complaining about libtool -- but how
many of them actually did anything to make it better?  Of these, how many
failed to achieve their goal due to a conceptual problem with libtool? --
only these can actually claim they have rights to blame libtool.
Everyone else please either file bug reports (or better yet fix bugs you
trip over) or keep silent.

  Maciej