"Dan Harkless" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I think the most straightforward mapping would also be the most attractive:
>
>     ftp/site/dir/file
>     http/site/dir/file

Don't forget the port, if you aim for completeness.

> Wget should certainly have an option to make it behave this way.  In
> fact, I'd prefer it to behave that way by default, for the reasons
> you mention, and introduce an option to leave off the protocol.

That would suck for people who have come to expect the current
behaviour.

I had different thoughts: I would like have liked to not include the
host name by default, since hosts are not traversed by default anyway.
But doing that would violate the previous paragraph, so I didn't.