Hrvoje Niksic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> "Dan Harkless" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Well, it wouldn't be very tough for them to adjust their archives by
> > moving the hostname directories into "ftp" or "http" directories.
> > Or else use the option that makes it leave off the protocol.
> >
> > As long as we document the change clearly, it doesn't seem that bad
> > to me.  To me being destructive to files when FTP and WWW servers
> > are run on the same machine is a worse evil than temporarily
> > confusing some people who don't read the documentation when
> > upgrading to Wget 1.7 from an older version.
>
> It's not that someone wouldn't be aware of the change, but that they
> would view the change as gratuitous.

Hard to say.  If they considered the
file-overwriting-when-ftp-and-www-server-are-on-same-host problem to be
serious, as I and others on the list do, they might not consider it to be
gratuitous.  And again, it won't be tough to get Wget to revert to the old
behavior, if they prefer it.

Perhaps we should take a vote on whether the new with-protocol local
filenames should become the default or not.

> I know I would.  Wget has been behaving like this since day 1, and we
> should have a very compelling reason for changing the default.

Hmm.  Well, haven't we changed a lot of other things that have been the case
since day 1?

I think the failure to properly mirror a server that runs both ftp and http
is "very compelling", but perhaps most people would disagree.  It's true
that this isn't a problem all *that* often, since professional sites almost
always use ftp://ftp.<domainname> and http://www.<domainname>, even if "ftp"
and "www" are just aliases for the same machine.  Also, FTP stuff is
*usually* under a "pub/" directory, and WWW content *usually* doesn't have a
directory with that name.

I'm not dead-set against retaining the current default behavior, but I'd
still personally prefer to have it that way.

If we don't end up turning on the protocol directories by default, what
about the non-80 ports in the hostname directories (e.g. site.com/... vs.
site.com:8080/...)?  It seems very wrong to me to put those both in the same
directory by default, and we don't have the "ftp.<domainname>" and "pub/"
saves that we do in the FTP vs. HTTP case.

> > > I had different thoughts: I would like have liked to not include
> > > the host name by default, since hosts are not traversed by default
> > > anyway.
> >
> > And only create the hostname directories when -H is specified?
> > Yuck.
>
> ``Yuck'' is in the eye of the beholder.

Yeah, but I'm sure most people consider the site name to be an important
piece of info on the local copy.

Dan Harkless            | To help prevent SPAM contamination,
GNU Wget co-maintainer  | please do not mention this email
http://sunsite.dk/wget/ | address in Usenet posts -- thank you.