Dear Joseph,

thanks for the patch.

> Recently I discovered that Wget would not talk to Windows FTP
> servers.

This applies to all wget versions that have been released until
now. The current development version that is going to be released in a
month or so (see Hrvoje's posting in this list from a few days ago)
can cope with MS IIS and some other non-UNIX FTP servers. As a
candidate release, this version is pretty stable and can be
anonymously checked out from CVS. If you are interested, consult
http://sunsite.dk/wget/wgetdev.html for more info.

> I searched around on the web a bit and found references
> to a patch to make it work, but I could not find the patch
> itself. Therefore, to preserve my own sanity, I hacked together
> my own Windows FTP patch.

The problem is that the mail archive of this list seems to be partly
broken. For certain reasons it contains messages starting with middle
of February, approximately. We are working on this but it's going to
take some time [1].

> It applies cleanly against the Wget-1.6 source tree.
> It has been tested with only a single Windows NT FTP server,
> one with which I must frequently have contact; I have no
> idea if it will work in general, since it makes a very simple
> and probably wrong assumption about how to detect a Windows
> server

Actually you did the best thing. In praxis, MS IIS FTP may deliver
either "UNIX compatible" listings or "DOS-like" listings and so it is
not sufficient to test for the server system type at the very
beginning. Current CVS version does exactly the same check as you did.

If you feel like that, you may try the MS IIS support in the current
CVS version of wget.

Thanks for your support.

-- jan

[1] I had to resubmit the old messages to www.mail-archive.com after
the change of the SunSite's address. However, it seems that due to
some "clever" anti-spam [2] e-mail checks at my university only about
40 e-mails really got resubmitted. The rest has been probably
classified as spam and silently (!) dropped. I will be resubmitting
the rest probably once more after some more testing at
mail-archive.com and this time from another address.

[2] <offtopic> As I recently learned, these rules check only
_outgoing_ e-mail. The spam coming from outside gets happily routed
though. </offtopic>

Jan Prikryl | vr|vis center for virtual reality and visualisation
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | http://www.vrvis.at