On Wed, 16 May 2001 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> All environment variale names (i.e. the part before the '=') are uppercase
> on OS/2
>
> wget uses getenv("http_proxy"); the implementation of getenv seems to be
> scanning _environ and doing a strncmp (i.e. case-sensitive comparison). If
> getproxy in url.c is changed to getenv("HTTP_PROXY") then it does pick up
> the environment setting.
>
> Could we postulate that *ALL* environment vars influencing WGET be
> uppercase ?

These proxy environment variables are the only environment variables
that I know of whose standard names are lower case. This goes back
to the original implementation (I believe of libwww by CERN). It is
certainly conceivable that a machine could have different environment
variables http_proxy and HTTP_PROXY. Rather than uppercasing all
variables, you might consider something like:

if ((proxy = getenv("http_proxy")) == NULL) {
proxy = getenv("HTTP_PROXY");
}

The problem of *_proxy variables being lowercase has been discussed
several times on the lynx-dev mailing list. I suspect that it will
crop up in several applications and is not likely to go away.

                              Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]