Well, coming from the 32-bit ibm os/2 world I can tell you that most programs
fetch the locale information from the operating system and display dates/numbers
appropiatelly, it's just an "etiquette" issue, a show of consideration from the
software developers to users worldwide, and it works quite well.

Having said that, I'm not sure at how mature and available is the implementation
of this on linux.

Regards

Fernando
Buenos Aires, Argentina