On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Herold Heiko wrote:

> > > Doesn't GCC work for this target?
> >
> > It does, in the form of "Cygwin" and "MingW".  But Heiko was using MS
> > VC before, and we have catered to broken compilers before, so it
> > doesn't hurt to try.
>
> Also, Cygwin requires a large installed environment. It may be possible to
> link statically and adapt everything in order to produce a single (large...)
> binary but that would be rather an ugly hack.
> MingW could be better, I really don't use it personally but I know the
> (standalone, portable) mame win32 binary is compiled with that.

 OK, thanks for the clarification.  I'm not into non-*nix environments at
all and with a *nix compiler you can normally drop in GCC as a replacement
for the system C compiler without touching anything else, including the
assembler, the linker and any libraries, be it shared or static (that's
the point of having an ABI, after all).  I'm not sure about other GCC
languages, though -- they may require their own run-time libraries to be
used instead of system ones; well, the Java compiler certainly does. ;-)

> Nevertheless, Visual C++ is the de facto standard on the windows platforms,
> so supporting it if possible renders (self compiled) wget accessible to a
> larger audience. Now, if this means hacking the source too much I think the
> "more recent vc++ only" path shoule be tried first before throwing away vc++
> support altogether.

 Well, instead of scratching the head, how about filing a bug report?
This way you should get a fix for the compiler and perhaps a description
of a possible workaround for broken versions that we could use for wget.

> Commenting out the double tmout... line removes the compiler error, OR
> exact ? (toread... (without MIN!) does compile, OR
> commenting out the #ifndef MIN..#endif does compile (in other words, MIN is
> already defined somewhere, how can I discover where?), however changing any

 FYI, unless it's predefined, with GCC you'd use something like `gcc -E
-dD foo.c' and search the output for the macro name.

  Maciej