Hrvoje Niksic wrote:

If nothing else works out, we can add something like that.  I for one
would prefer Wget to be smarter and try to download dot files by
default, without the user's intervention.

Remember, though, that if a new version of "wget" starts downloading the
"." files, while all the previous versions didn't, this would be a deviation
from the expected behavior. It might be better for "no .'s" to be the
default and have it explicitly overridden with the flag.

Also, this ought to be easier to get us started with -- for now, the flag
will cause "ftp -a" to be used. It won't work in all cases, but that
would be documented. When a scheme is found that works for more cases, the
same flag would be used, you would just expect it to work under more sets
of conditions.

I'd really like to have this, and don't want to have to maintain my own
versions of the tool. Isn't this easy enough to do that you could put it
in the next release?
Thanks,

        Carl Ponder