From: Mauro Tortonesi [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 12:02 PM
To: Frank McCown
Cc: wget@sunsite.dk
Subject: Re: Limit time to run

Frank McCown wrote:
> It would be great if wget had a way of limiting the amount of time it
> took to run so it won't accidentally hammer on someone's web server
for
> an indefinate amount of time.  I'm often needing to let a crawler run
> for a while on an unknown site, and I have to manually kill wget after
> few hours if it hasn't finished yet.  It would be nice if I could do:
>
> wget --limit-time=120 ...
>
> to make it stop itself after 120 minutes.
>
> Please cc me on any replies.

i don't think we need to add this feature to wget, as it can be achieved

with a shell script that launches wget in background, sleeps for the
given amount of time and then kills the wget process.

however, if there is a general consensus about adding this feature to
wget, i might consider changing my mind.