Maybe I should have started by this (I had to change the name of the file shown):

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/tmp# wget --version
GNU Wget 1.10.2

Originally written by Hrvoje Niksic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/tmp# wget --debug http://program-linux64.tar.bz2
DEBUG output created by Wget 1.10.2 on linux-gnu.

--15:37:42--  http://program-linux64.tar.bz2
           => `program.tar.bz2'
Resolving www.ai.sri.com... 130.107.65.215
Caching www.ai.sri.com => 130.107.65.215
Connecting to www.ai.sri.com|130.107.65.215|:80... connected.
Created socket 3.
Releasing 0x000000000064a100 (new refcount 1).