THE WHATIS.COM WORD-OF-THE-DAY
January 23, 2003

mail transfer agent

______________
TODAY'S SPONSOR: VeriSign - The Value of Trust

Secure all your Web servers now - with a proven 5-part strategy.
The FREE Server Security Guide shows you how to:
* DEPLOY THE LATEST ENCRYPTION and authentication techniques
* DELIVER TRANSPARENT PROTECTION with the strongest security without
disrupting users. And more.

______________
TODAY'S WORD: mail transfer agent

See our complete definition with hyperlinks at
http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci876011,00.html

A mail transfer agent (MTA) is a program responsible for receiving,
routing, and delivering e-mail messages. MTAs receive e-mail messages
and recipient addresses from local users and remote hosts, perform
alias creation and forwarding functions, and deliver the messages to
their destinations. An MTA is sometimes called a mail transport
agent, a mail router, an Internet mailer, or a mail server program.
Commonly used MTAs include sendmail, qmail, and Exim.

RELATED TERMS:

host
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci212254,00.html

sendmail
http://searchsystemsmanagement.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid20_gci212961,00.html

Exim
http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci779358,00.html

______________________
SELECTED LINKS:

A SearchWin2000 Exchange Administration Tip explains the mail
transfer agent.
http://searchwin2000.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid1_gci755058,00.html

Todd VerBeek offers a long list of MTA possibilities.
http://microsoft.toddverbeek.com/mta.html

SearchDomino offers a collection of Best Web Links for E-mail.
http://searchdomino.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid4_tax1e2,00.html

______________________
QUIZ #35 | Common Vulnerabilities (NEW!)

Take our quiz and test your knowledge about common security
vulnerabilities. Learn how to defend your organization against them
with the resources we've collected.
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci875285,00.html

______________________
WHATIS.COM POLL | How do you stay on top?

57% of the readers who responded to our last poll said they hadn't
been sent for any IT training in 2002.  We'd like to know:
How do you stay on top of what's new in your area of IT?
http://www.whatis.com/poll

______________________
LEARNING PATH | Customer Relationship Management

Give yourself a quick tutorial in customer relationship management
(CRM) by reading our series of related definitions in sequence.
http://searchcrm.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid11_gci788453,00.html

______________________________
RECENT ADDITIONS AND UPDATES

[1] speed of gravity
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci874815,00.html

[2] double integral sign
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci874054,00.html

[3] data source name
http://searchvb.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid8_gci874018,00.html

[4] systems thinking
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid19_gci874009,00.html

[5] Advanced Planner and Optimizer
http://searchsap.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid21_gci874121,00.html

LOWELL THING, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

MARGARET ROUSE, Associate Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])