THE WHATIS.COM WORD-OF-THE-DAY
January 24, 2003

half-life

______________
TODAY'S SPONSOR: Free CRM whitepapers

Download the key papers you need today to make better-informed
decisions. Targeted categories include: Business Intelligence, Data
Warehousing, CRM Technology, Customer Service and Implementation,
Integration and Business Processes.

Click here to access the free SearchCRM.com white papers section.
http://searchcrm.techtarget.com/whitepapers3/0,,sid11,00.html

______________
TODAY'S WORD: half-life

See our complete definition with hyperlinks at
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid19_gci876031,00.html

In science, a half-life (also, as a noun, spelled "half life") is the
amount of time it takes for half of a substance or entity to undergo
some specified process. For example, the half-life of a radioactive
substance is the amount of time it takes for half of its atoms to
decay, and the half-life of a drug is the amount of time it takes
before half of the active elements are either eliminated or broken
down by the body. Depending on the particular substance involved, a
half-life may be significantly shorter or longer than half of the
substance's full period of activity. The concept of a half-life has
been adopted by fields outside of science, such as marketing and
finance.

In marketing, half-life is a formula for estimating the total
half-life of a catalog is the day when half of the consumer responses
to the mailing have been received. Sears Canada studied the history
of their sales data and found that their catalogs reached their
half-life 20 days after being mailed, although the life of the
catalog was actually several months. Knowing when a direct marketing
campaign reaches the half-life point allows marketers to adapt more
quickly to consumer demand.

In finance, the half-life of a mortgage is the date when half of the
principal amount has been paid. Because of the way that interest is
pro-rated (as a proportion of the total, paid more towards the first
part of the life of the mortgage), the mortgage half-life date is
generally more distant than the chronological half-way point in the
total life of the mortgage.

______________________
SELECTED LINKS:

The Database Marketing Institute explains "The Uses of the Half Life
Day."
http://www.dbmarketing.com/articles/Art128.htm

Kent Rohrbach explains how half-life projecting can be helpful in
determining future mailing schedules.
http://www.lwra.com/newsletters/yes_03_98/mailing.html

Great Moments in Science explores the meaning of half-life.
http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/gmis9826.htm

______________________
QUIZ #35 | Common Vulnerabilities (NEW!)

Take our quiz to test your knowledge about common security
vulnerabilities and learn how to defend your organization against
them with the resources we've collected.
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci875285,00.html

_____________________
WHATIS.COM POLL | How do you stay on top?

57% of the readers who responded to our last poll said they hadn't
been sent for any IT training in 2002.  We'd like to know:
How do you stay on top of what's new in your area of IT?
http://www.whatis.com/poll

______________________
REAL LIFE CHALLENGE | Upgrade to Win2k server or wait for .NET?

Ned is an IT manager in a Windows NT environment with a couple of
hundred workstations and several servers. Ned's CEO wants him to
determine whether it would be better for the company upgrade to a
Windows 2000 server, or wait until the Windows .NET server (now
called Microsoft Windows Server 2003) comes out. Can you advise?
http://whatis.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]@.1dcfae0e/211!viewtype=threadDate&skip=&expand=

______________________________
RECENT ADDITIONS AND UPDATES

[1] speed of gravity
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci874815,00.html

[2] double integral sign
http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci874054,00.html

[3] data source name
http://searchvb.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid8_gci874018,00.html

[4] systems thinking
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid19_gci874009,00.html

[5] Advanced Planner and Optimizer
http://searchsap.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid21_gci874121,00.html

LOWELL THING, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

MARGARET ROUSE, Associate Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])