THE WHATIS.COM WORD-OF-THE-DAY
January 27, 2003

heuristics

______________
TODAY'S SPONSOR: Free Enterprise Storage whitepapers

Download the key papers you need today to make better-informed
decisions. Papers from Hitachi, IBM, Computer Associates, Sun, EMC,
HP, and more.

Click here to access SearchStorage.com's white papers section.
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/whitepapers3/0,,sid5,00.html

______________
TODAY'S WORD: heuristics

See our complete definition with hyperlinks at
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci876400,00.html

Heuristics is the application of experience-derived knowledge to a
problem and is sometimes used to describe software that screens and
filters out messages likely to contain a computer virus or other
undesirable content. A heuristic (pronounced hyu-RIS-tik and from the
Greek "heuriskein" meaning "to discover") is a "rule-of-thumb."
Heuristics software looks for known sources, commonly-used text
phrases, and transmission or content patterns that experience has
shown to be associated with e-mail containing viruses.

Because many companies or users receive a large volume of e-mail and
because legitimate e-mail may also fall into the pattern, heuristics
software sometimes results in many "false positives," discouraging
its use. Security experts note that, although such software needs to
get better, it is a valuable and necessary tool.

RELATED TERMS:

virus
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci213306,00.html

heuristic
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid19_gci212246,00.html

______________________
SELECTED LINKS:

VNUNet offers an article, "Heuristics is the way forward."
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1129441

Symantec has a white paper called "Understanding Heuristics:
Symantec's Bloodhound Technology."
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/reference/heuristc.pdf

SearchSecurity.com offers a number of white papers related to virus
detection and other security topics.
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/whitepapersByCategory/0,293837,sid14_tax292039_idx0_off10,00.html

______________________
QUIZ #35 | Common Vulnerabilities

Take our quiz to test your knowledge about common security
vulnerabilities and learn how to defend your organization against
them with the resources we've collected.
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci875285,00.html

______________________
WHATIS.COM POLL | How do you stay on top?

57% of the readers who responded to our last poll said they hadn't
been sent for any IT training in 2002.  We'd like to know:
How do you stay on top of what's new in your area of IT?
http://www.whatis.com/poll

______________________
REAL LIFE CHALLENGE | Upgrade to Win2k server or wait for .NET?

Ned is an IT manager in a Windows NT environment with a couple of
hundred workstations and several servers. Ned's CEO wants him to
determine whether it would be better for the company upgrade to a
Windows 2000 server, or wait until the Windows .NET server (now
called Microsoft Windows Server 2003) comes out. Can you advise?
http://whatis.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]@.1dcfae0e/211!viewtype=threadDate&skip=&expand=

______________________________
RECENT ADDITIONS AND UPDATES

[1] R/2
http://searchsap.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid21_gci876431,00.html

[2] X#
http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid26_gci875257,00.html

[3] data source name
http://searchvb.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid8_gci874018,00.html

[4] systems thinking
http://searchcio.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid19_gci874009,00.html

[5] Advanced Planner and Optimizer
http://searchsap.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid21_gci874121,00.html

LOWELL THING, Site Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

MARGARET ROUSE, Associate Editor ([EMAIL PROTECTED])